5 Common Plants that Nobody Imagines that are Poisonous

We all know that there are poisonous plants. What we don’t know is that some of the plants that we are accustomed to see forever, are deadly when ingested.Next we will learn 5 common plants that nobody imagines that are poisonous, and with which we must be very carefully:

1. CASTOR OIL PLANT (RICINUS COMMUNIS)

 

The Castor plant is widely cultivated in a flower garden for your ornamental value and also because of their grain (seed) extract castor oil, widely used in the treatment of weakened hair. The main producing countries are Castor to India, China, Brazil and Mozambique, however this plant exist all over the world.
Lush in your appearance and easy to spread the beans are considered as one of the most poisonous plants in the world. The whole plant, especially the seeds, a plant toxin called ricin shows that causes a painful death and inevitable.
Simply ingest the amount of ricin a Castor seeds so that in a few hours (6 to 8 hours) the victim begins to feel abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and a terrible burning sensation in the throat. Enough Castor seeds 6 to kill a child and 8 seeds are enough to poison mortally. Are mentioned only occurrences a Castor seed caused the death of adults, although it is however private history of these cases.
Is not yet discovered an antidote that works against the poison of Castor, for patient’s death is inevitable, long and agonizing. There are recorded cases of people affected by the poison of mamonas who suffered for weeks, just being treated with supportive medical care in order to reduce the intensity of the effects of intoxication.
Only an adult will be very difficult to try a Castor beans, involved in what appears to be a strong network thorny. However, you might want to take care of the children, since the attractive color and the original aspect of the seeds of this plant can be a temptation. To think seriously whether the ornamental plant more indicated to have at home!

2. ANTHURIUM (ANTHURIUM)

 

Of short stature and modest foliage Anthurium is grown by your ornamental beauty and is traditionally used in decoration of gardens. In folk medicine the Anthurium is much appreciated due to its beneficial properties for treating skin diseases, rheumatic diseases, hemorrhoids and contracetivas.
There are red anthuriums, pink and white and your appearance is lush and exotic. Native to the tropical zone of America initially and in temperate regions of Europe, Anthurium is nowadays spread all over the world. In Portugal is commonly known by the name of “jug” and is marketed mainly by your aesthetic value.
Despite the elegant aspect, Anthurium is a very poisonous plant with which one must be careful, especially in homes where there are children and pets.The whole plant is toxic if ingested due to the presence of calcium oxalate, a chemical compound which features crystals able to pierce the tissues of the neck, preventing the passage of air and leading to death by asphyxiation.
Symptoms of calcium oxalate poisoning include manifestations like vomiting, nozzle cavity lesions, pharynx and larynx, severe pain when swallowing, swelling and feeling of suffocation. Initial treatment can be done with symptomatic and medication through intake of milk and water, requiring an urgent trip to the hospital.

3. CHRYSANTHEMUM (CHRYSANTHEMUM)

 

Also commonly known as daisies, or marigolds, chrysanthemums are cultivated for millennia in Asian countries. There are over 100 species of chrysanthemums in the world and usually is a plant that does not exceed the meter tall.
In spite of your beauty in a flower garden and colored and also be cultivated due to the antibacterial properties that present, chrysanthemums are actually poisonous plants capable of causing intoxications in humans and animals.
The symptoms of intoxication are dermatitis usually and flaking skin on skin, as well as itching more or less severe depending on the reaction of the organism of the person or animal intoxicated. Although not yet proven which of the many varieties of chrysanthemums feature indeed health hazard, it is advisable to be very careful in your handling and pay special attention to pets and small children.
Although not deadly intoxication caused by specific medical care lacks chrysanthemum and can become quite annoying when not treated in a timely manner.

4. DIGITALIS (DIGITALIS PURUREA)

 

With flowers similar to small thimbles or buzzers, Foxgloves, as is commonly known, thrives in all countries of Europe. Highly sought after by your ornamental beauty, this Woody grass pink or white flowers and presents is excellent for beautifying vases, flower beds and gardens.
Due to the presence of Digitalis (aspect crystalline substance) the Foxglove is also used for medicinal purposes, being an important heart tonic and a valuable assist in treatments of arrhythmias or cardiac insufficiency.
However the own Digitalis that makes dedadeira a beneficial tool for health, can also cause serious poisoning, and even lead to death when consumed in excessive doses.
The Foxglove poisoning mainly occurs due to ingestion of the whole, or parts of the plant and the symptoms usually are characterized by vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, mental confusion, depression, weakness, low blood pressure and fainting among others. The screening must be done by specialized medical personnel and treatment administered as soon as possible.

5. HYDRANGEA (HYDRANGEA MACROPHYLLA)

 

Deciduous shrub native to Japan and China and used since time indented by your ornamental beauty, the cultivation of Hydrangea lasted from the mid-19th century to almost all temperate regions.
The hydrangea pink or blue flowers features depending on the pH of the soil and its medicinal properties, due to the presence in your Constitution of various phenolic organic compounds are yet to be studied in depth. However the hydrangea can also be very toxic if ingested in large amounts, or inhaled in the form of (some people use the hydrangeas as a replacement for marijuana and smoke in joints, although the entire plant is toxic, the biggest danger is in smoke the stalk and leaves).
The Glycoside is the active ingredient included in the composition of the Hydrangea responsible for your toxicity and that may turn into cyanide (strong poison) when it reaches the stomach.
When assimilated by the organism in exaggerated doses the Glycoside of Hydrangea causes diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches and ABS strong, convulsions and muscle flaccidity, leading to coma and death. It is essential that a trip to the hospital for urgent confirm the poisoning and take the necessary measures to treatment and monitoring of symptoms.

Although they look beautiful and totally harmless plants can have diseases and cause serious health problems. To prevent more serious situations it is necessary to be well informed about each of the plants that you enter at home, especially when there are children and pets around. Do not hesitate a second to ask for special medical help is the correct procedure to be taken in the event of suspicion of intoxication caused by plants. Do not give fluids and do not induce vomiting to the victim are also proper ways to act, because on urge to help could aggravate further the State of the person intoxicated. Calm and foresight are always good strategies to adopt.